News:

We have *Free* SMF 2.0 & 2.1 Themes for Download and Support!

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10,779
  • Total Topics: 1,379
  • Online today: 138
  • Online ever: 879
  • (Jan 21, 20, 05:49:15 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153

Multiple Themes - One Problem; One Question

Started by DrDave, Jul 15, 11, 01:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrDave

I'm using SMF 2.0 Gold for my small board. My problem: I've got multiple themes you designed on my forum (Reference, Actualism, Cracked, Flagrant_alt, Flagrantly, Headline, Mobile, Orangeline). For all of these, when a topic has a new post, it registers on the main board with a change to the icon, but when you click on the board and go to the list of topics, there is a marker there where a graphic should be to indicate a new post, but no graphic. I've hunted everywhere to see where the graphic should be in the code, to see where the graphic file should be in the theme files, all to no avail. I know it must be simple, but no joy. This is happening in every theme I've downloaded from your site.

My question: I'm trying to put our forum logo in the header where you currently have the theme name. I've successfully done it in one of the themes, but I'm not sure how - I basically replaced every file named "logo" or "smflogo" or "anythingthatlookedlikelogo" with any form of graphic extension in any folder in the entire theme directory, and it showed up. Of course it wasn't the right size, but I couldn't find the right place or the right file to modify for the size requirements. So two questions, really: (1) what file holds the header logo placement size info and the call for the logo image file? and (2) where is that logo image file located that I would need to replace?

Thank you so much for any help you could give this lost traveler!

Dr. Dave

willemjan

What language is your forum in? If you use an different language than the standard, then there is an problem with the new.gif. It is created in English, and shows in English only. There is an fix for that, but I first need to know if you use an different language ;)

The logo is different in all themes. We can fix that for you if you want, but we would require the logo img uploaded on your server, and an admin account on your forum.

DrDave

It's all in English. I've uploaded the logo (named "nfllogo") in jpeg, gif and bmp formats to each of the themes in the images folder. Will that work? I've set up an admin account - just need an e-mail address to send it to.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

ZarPrime

Dave,

I'll step in here for a minute since willemjan is mostly on here when most of us are asleep. ;)

Using your own named images would require some code edits so I'm going to mention to you the easiest way to do it.  In most, but possibly not all, of the themes that you are using, the theme logo, which is what you are trying to change is named logo.png and it might be located in different places depending on the theme.  For instance, here is the location of the logo image in the first 3 themes you mentioned ...

/public_html/YourSite/Themes/reference/images/img/logo.png
/public_html/YourSite/Themes/Actualism/images/art/logo.png
/public_html/YourSite/Themes/cracked/images/img/logo.png

The first thing you should do for each theme is to backup the existing logo.png by renaming it to something like ~logo.png

Then you would create your own "logo.png" for your site logo and upload that image to the appropriate location.  For instance, for the reference theme, rename /public_html/YourSite/Themes/reference/images/img/logo.png to /public_html/YourSite/Themes/reference/images/img/~logo.png and then upload your own "logo.png" to the /public_html/YourSite/Themes/reference/images/img/ folder of your site.  Now the logo in the reference theme will be your own logo image.

I hope what I said makes sense.  You'd have to do this for each theme.  One more thing, if your logo is smaller or larger than the Crip theme logo for each theme, you still might have to do some code edits but we can tell you how to do that.

ZarPrime

DrDave

That makes perfect sense. My only problem has been finding where the logo.png file is in the theme file directory, and where it is in the code (which filename and where, although I just found out I could do a regular browser 'find' for the last part), and if they are all named "logo.png"

I just fixed the Reference and Actualism themes based on your and willemjan's guidance, so I can manage that part now, I think! Thanks

Dave

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

Maxx

Quote from: DrDave on Jul 15, 11, 03:51:49 PM
That makes perfect sense. My only problem has been finding where the logo.png file is in the theme file directory, and where it is in the code (which filename and where, although I just found out I could do a regular browser 'find' for the last part), and if they are all named "logo.png"

I just fixed the Reference and Actualism themes based on your and willemjan's guidance, so I can manage that part now, I think! Thanks

Dave

Dave,

If you go to your admin > Current theme >scroll down to "Logo image URL:" there will be a window to place your loge url or path!

an example would be as such:
Themes/your_theme_name/img/logo.png ( your logo needs to be in this file, upload via FTP or Cpanel file manager).

or if you want the same logo evey theme you can copy and paste the image location from your browser and place it in this window or form field! each theme has this option so each will need to be done.

hope this helps!

regards,
Maxx

willemjan

Quote from: ZarPrime on Jul 15, 11, 01:54:00 PM
I'll step in here for a minute since willemjan is mostly on here when most of us are asleep. ;)

Thats the fun thing about timezones ;). It is passed midnight here now.

Have you fixed the issue with the new.gif?

DrDave

Willemjan, I do still have the problem with the missing icon for the new message indicator.

Bent je een Nederlander? Belgie mischien?

Dave

Quote from: willemjan on Jul 15, 11, 07:22:44 PM
Quote from: ZarPrime on Jul 15, 11, 01:54:00 PM

Thats the fun thing about timezones ;). It is passed midnight here now.

Have you fixed the issue with the new.gif?

willemjan

I'm Dutch indeed, but I prefer talking English on this site ;)

So, are you using an UTF-8 language?